Saturday, May 26, 2012

Memorial Day




When I lived in Germany every Memorial Day I would camp with the Girl Scouts in France. Our days were not spent at camp, rather they were spent placing flags on every grave in this cemetery: http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/lo.php



I am so grateful to have this experience and shared a taste of it this weekend with my kids.  We went to the Massachusetts National Cemetery in Bourne with my mother.  We helped to plant flags on about 100 of the 58,000 grave stones.  Even though I've done this in the past, today was extra special since three of our relatives are interred here: Edward Very, my grandfather; Kathleen Very, my grandmother; and Francis Hoffman, my great aunt.We were able to plant the flags on their stones.  

On the way home I asked the kids what they learned today.  Kaitlyn said she learned that Grandpa Very served in WWII.  Alyssa said she learned that by placing the flags on their stones we are remembering their service to our country.  Brian said he learned two things: We don't run in cemeteries and he is named after Grandpa Very.















No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your feedback and comments. I'd also love and suggestions to help me perfect my skills as I develop them. Have a question? I'll try to answer it for you right away.

The only think I ask is that negativity not be posted. You know that old saying your mother probably taught you? "If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all!"